OSHA continues probe into construction site death in Kuam

Posted: Dec 04, 2018 9:51 PM PSTUpdated: Dec 04, 2018 9:51 PM PSTBy Nestor LicantoCONNECT

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is still investigating the construction death last week of Jay Wasisang, who died after apparently being struck in the head by a backhoe at a Mangilao site. In a speech Wednesday for the Northern Guam Rotary Club, local Labor Department safety administrator Jesse Pangelinan says the accident could have been prevented if the proper safety procedures were followed.

"I don't know what happened, but there was a backhoe and there was a forklift. That's all I know. But just from that, if he was really a spotter he needs to be away. If he's gonna go into that trench, that boom has to be away. That operator has to have the equipment controls neutralized or off. And in fact new backhoes, it's just a switch. Hit it, that thing's off," he said.

He says it was the second construction-related death this year. Federal OSHA responds to serious industrial accidents, and contractors must report deaths within 8 hours, and dismemberments and other severe injuries within 24 hours.

Pangelinan says Guam DOL provides OSHA training and consultation. They conduct site inspections to identify hazards, and can conduct on-the-spot abatement.

Via: Kuam News @ http://bit.ly/OCForklift298